The first topic I want to speak about is SLAVERY. "Slavery?" you say. "That was over, like, 150 years ago!" Actually, no. Slavery exists all over the world. In fact, there are more slaves on earth today than there probably have ever been, even though it is illegal everywhere. Tonight I just want to give you the facts. Maybe shock you a little bit with the awful truth. So LISTEN up.
27 MILLION. That's 27,000,000 people imprisoned, subdued to incredible injustice all over the world. And yes, it is going on right under your very nose. There are an estimated 100,000 slaves in America today, and about 17,500 more are trafficked in every year. 91 U.S. cities have reported cases of human trafficking. Here's something perhaps a little disturbing. Our government's budget for efforts against human trafficking? $50 MILLION. "That's a lot of money!" you say. Just wait. U.S. Government's budget for efforts against drug trafficking? $19 BILLION. Yeah, that's BILLION. Shocking?
There are 800,000 people trafficked across international borders each year. 50% of all trafficking victims are children. Modern-day slavery presents itself in the "disguise" of forced labor, debt bondage, servile marriage, and child labor. I am not going to take the time tonight to share with you some of the many heart-breaking stories, because I think that the numbers along give plenty of food for thought. Below is an interactive map from www.freetheslaves.net. This site is an excellent place to go to if you want to learn more immediately. Most of the facts I shared with you tonight I learned when I read "Be the Change" by Zach Hunter, a teenager inspired to fight modern-day slavery. I encourage you to read it.
27,000,000.
CAN YOU HEAR THEM CRY?
STOP. LISTEN. SPEAK.
-With hope,
Lauren
Free the Slaves - Interactive Map
No comments:
Post a Comment